Check out the new Filmsoc blog at www.filmsoc.co.za

Monday, February 22, 2010

Unfortunately, I did hear about the Morgan’s........



Title: Did you hear about the Morgans?
Dir: Marc Lawrence
Writer: Marc Lawrence
Cast: Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker

As this movie began its epic journey into nothingness I quickly started to wonder what I was doing, wasting my time watching it. However catchy a title, I had a sneaking suspicion this movie was bound to fail. Can you say cliché?

(Hugh Grant+ Sarah Jessica Parker) = world’s worst paired couple, seriously worse than Ass Cancer and Indian Food! Their lack of chemistry was obvious at first glance which did not help move the already slow moving plot any faster. I have to admit, however, that I did see potential in the storyline. A separated couple who have witnessed a crime and now have the murderer after them in order to cover his tracks. The Morgan’s are then sent to Wyoming, in exile, where they stay with a typical western rodeo-stereotyped American couple. Soon they manage to rekindle their relationship and fall in love again, whether it is the fact they are out in nature or simply have to put up with one another.

I did enjoy the humour, although it was few and far between at times. Grant’s British wit always seem to put a smile on my face whereas Parker was as dry as Maggie Thatcher during a Prince solo. There was no fancy cinematography to make one jump out of their seat nor was there any life altering message at the end - comforting you- by knowing that there was a point to your endurance through this film. Unfortunately, I cannot say that there were any ‘biting nail’ moments where you cry from fear or surprise nor was there any suspense maintained throughout , in order to keep you hanging on in anticipation.

To sum up, the movie was simple and predictable, and shit. I already knew what would happen from the beginning as it was similar in many ways to any other romantic movie. But these criticisms aside, if you’re looking for a light-hearted movie for you and your family and if you are not looking for any spectacular innovation matching Avatar, then this movie would be perfect for you.

I GIVE IT 4 HOERS

-By MICHAEL VIKtoria Kitley

No comments:

Post a Comment